Randy Couture se enfrentará a Sylvia en el UFC 68

Aquí se habla sobre cualquier deporte de contacto (boxeo, muay thai, MMA, kickboxing, full, etc.)

Moderadores: moderador suplente, admin

THeRoNiN
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto

Randy Couture se enfrentará a Sylvia en el UFC 68

Mensaje por THeRoNiN » 12 Ene 2007 13:34

Randy Couture de 43 años, apunto de entrar en el Hall of Fame y ya retirado, ha decidido volver. Se enfrentará a Sylvia en el próximo UFC 65

Fuente: http://www.ufc.tv

Aqui toda la historia en inglés: (es que ahora no me apetece ponerme a traducir :wink: )

“I see something.”

That’s what former heavyweight champion Max Schmeling said shortly before facing the apparently invincible “Brown Bomber”, Joe Louis, for the first time in 1936. What he saw in the flawless knockout artist was something only another fighter would notice – Louis’ tendency to drop his left hand after jabbing, leaving him open to a right cross.

Schmeling would capitalize on this flaw and stun the boxing world, knocking out Louis in the 12th round and rejuvenating a career that most observers thought was finished.

Former UFC light heavyweight and two-time heavyweight champion Randy Couture - firmly settled in retirement – also saw something when he watched the current heavyweight king, 6 foot 8 Tim Sylvia, battle 5 foot 9 Jeff Monson last November. No, it wasn’t a technical glitch in what ‘The Maine-iac’ was doing in the Octagon that night (and if it was, he wouldn’t be telling us), but rather an attitude that made ‘The Natural’ rethink life on the sidelines and announce his return to active competition to face Sylvia at UFC 68 in Columbus, Ohio on March 3rd.

“I definitely think watching that fight solidified my feeling that coming back at heavyweight rather than light heavyweight is what I wanted to do,” said Couture, who retired after his second loss to light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell in February of 2006. “And more than a technical thing that I saw was just Tim’s attitude in entering that fight. And I think it started with the (third) Andrei Arlovski fight. Giving him the benefit of the doubt against Arlovski, as explosive as he is, and both guys kinda having knockouts, you expect maybe a little more conservative performance in that situation. But then to see it again with Jeff, when he clearly had Jeff in trouble and was the better fighter that day, and dealt with him not only on his feet but on the ground, I thought Tim could have showed the burning desire that got him the championship in the first place and stepped up and won that fight decisively, and he just didn’t do that. Not to criticize anybody, they’re both great competitors and Tim’s a friend and I like him, but that really has nothing to do with it.”

For Couture, what this comeback revolves around is not only a return to the sport he loves as a participant, but having a chance to make history as well as the first man to win the heavyweight title three times. Are there going to be doubters? Absolutely. But then again, ‘The Natural’ has made a career of silencing his critics, whether it was his first big UFC win over seemingly unbeatable Vitor Belfort in 1997, or his reinvention as a light heavyweight in 2003 after losing back to back heavyweight bouts to Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez.

But why come back now at 43 years old, when he has already been inducted in the UFC Hall of Fame, has a new wife, a new gig as a UFC commentator, and a seemingly endless string of possibilities for life after fighting?

“I just think that while I’m still physically capable of beating these guys and competing, it seems like the right time,” he said. “I went through a nasty divorce the last couple of years, got all that stuff settled, and emotionally and spiritually I came out the other side and feel a lot more like myself. I felt like it was time to get back into competition, starting with the grappling tournament (in November) in the PSL (Professional Submission League). It went well and I felt good in that, and I was thinking about fighting again for quite a while, and I was just waiting for the right opportunity. This opportunity came up, and I jumped on it.”

And while most fighters wait a few years before announcing comebacks, Couture’s itch to compete again came fast, something that wasn’t helped by being around the fight game on an almost daily basis.

“It’s hard to be around fighters and around this sport as much as I am and not want to compete,” he said. “I can hardly sit around and watch the fights and commentate without wiggling in my seat and demonstrating technique in my head while I’m watching.”

There are questions that come with Couture’s return though, most notably whether the knockout losses to Liddell in 2005 and 2006 (sandwiched around a submission win over Mike Van Arsdale in 2005) were undeniable signs that it was truly time to go for the Oregon native. Then again, getting knocked out by ‘The Iceman’ is a fate that can be suffered by the young as well – just ask recent victims Renato Sobral and Tito Ortiz.

“I don’t feel like I’m on the downslide,” admits Couture. “I don’t feel like I’ve slowed down. I think I was facing an opponent (Liddell) who’s at the top of his skill level right now, and I’m not the only one he’s pointed that out to. He’s had fights since then that have indicated that as well, and this is the best Chuck Liddell we’ve ever seen. He manages to go out and do what he does, find that range, and land that shot. From Babalu to (Jeremy) Horn and Tito. I don’t think it’s an indication of my skills – it’s more an indication of Chuck’s.”

What about the return to heavyweight though? The last time Couture was seen competing with the big boys in 2002, he got stopped by Barnett and the Rodriguez, leading ‘The Natural’ to conclude at that time that he would be better served facing fighters closer to his own height and weight.

“I think most notably, my ability has changed,” said Couture, who defeated the likes of Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, and Pedro Rizzo (twice) before the losses which prompted his jump to the light heavyweight class, where he went on to stop Liddell and Ortiz en route to the 205-pound title. “I think the guys are still big, but I’m a better fighter and more technical fighter. I train smarter and have a better idea how to peak for fights, and first and foremost, I believe I have the technique to deal with a bigger fighter, even if I do end up on the bottom. And I didn’t really have those skills back in those days dealing with Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez.”

Now he’ll need them to deal with the biggest UFC heavyweight of them all in the 6-8, 260 pound Sylvia. And if he wins, well…Couture isn’t jumping ahead too fast just yet.

“I’m in the process of signing a four fight deal over the next two years,” he said, “and like anything, you take it one fight at a time. The last thing I want to do is look past Tim Sylvia.”

And given Couture’s history of producing mixed martial arts miracles, the last thing Tim Sylvia should be doing is looking past him.

“The year off has been good, certainly on a spiritual level, and it’s been good to clear the decks, get a lot of things settled, and get back to being me,” said Couture, one of the game’s classiest figures and a true ambassador of the sport. “I’ve got a lot better support system than I had going into those fights, and I’m in a lot better place in general.”

“Look, everybody’s gonna question my age and question the decision, and that’s okay – I understand that. I’m either gonna look like a knucklehead on the third of March or a genius. We’ll see.”

Runas
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por Runas » 12 Ene 2007 14:12

Ole por Randy, eso sí que es echarle valor al asunto. Está claro que poca gente ve a Tim como un campeón sólido, pero la cuestión es que nadie es capaz de arrebatarle el título, la verdad es que me gustaría que Couture lo venciese en su regreso, sería un bombazo, pero sinceramente, lo veo difícil. Ese cinturón cambiará de manos cuando llegue Crocop y no antes.

SAKU
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por SAKU » 12 Ene 2007 14:46

Es de elogiar el alma de guerrero de Randy, para volver a meterse en la jaula.
Pero despues de haberse retirado, y en una categoria superior... no se yo si sera la decision mas acertada y mas ante un tipo tan grande como Sylvia :-?

PD: Otro gran nombre mas que se suma al cambio de imagen del UFC... suma y sigue Mr. D. White.

fan valetodo
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por fan valetodo » 12 Ene 2007 16:47

bueno, yo siempre he admirado la clase y carisma de este gran luchador como fue en su momento randy couture, grande entre grandes......pero no considero buena idea el hecho de volver a pelear y en una categoria donde hace mucbo tiempo ya no ha peleado y aunque a algunos no les parezca pero la edad siempre es un factor importante para cualquier luchador que esta en este deporte tan competitivo.....me parece mal lo hecho por couture, ya no tiene que demostrar nada, lo ha ganado todo en su carrera, porque exponerse a eso??? yo como fan suyo le deseo la mejor de las suertes, de hecho me gustaria verlo ganar siempre, pero vuelvo a la realidad y esa nos dice que se fue mal al ser derotado contundentemente ante lidell, la verdad no sé, han habido grandes luchadores que no han sabido retirarse a tiempo y han tenido que ser brutalizados en el ring u octagono para darse cuenta que ya no daban para mas....yo espero que este no sea el caso en el gran couture pero la edad es la edad :-?

Scarface
Forero Avanzado
Forero Avanzado

Mensaje por Scarface » 13 Ene 2007 18:11

A mí me gustaría que antes de que lo haga Mirko, lo enfrente Brandon Vera.

SAKU
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por SAKU » 13 Ene 2007 21:16

He encontrado un video donde explica lo de su vuelta, asi que si alguien sabe ingles y tiene tiempo para traducir... :wink:

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=MultiMe ... l&gid=4172

3X
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto

Mensaje por 3X » 14 Ene 2007 03:09

hay una malisisima tedencia a menospreciar a Tim Sylvia, tanto en este foro como en general. Se ha dicho de el todo lo malo posible, pero sigue siendo el campeon de los pesados de la UFC, q no es moco de pavo. Estamos de acuerdo que no es Fedor, pero un respeto...

MITSURUGI77
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto

Mensaje por MITSURUGI77 » 14 Ene 2007 11:54

Yo opino que couture se lo lleva a timo silvia.

sylvanus
Forero Amateur
Forero Amateur

Mensaje por sylvanus » 14 Ene 2007 15:17

yo no he visto muchos combates de randy, solo he visto este.

un combate epico, derrotando a belfort en sus mejores tiempos.

Saludos.

Jesús Carvalho de Souza
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por Jesús Carvalho de Souza » 15 Ene 2007 13:39

Sylvia le va a dar un palizón a Randy.
Está la edad de Randy que son muchos, ya en sus últimas peleas se le vio que no era el mismo y ahora quiere pelearse contra el campeón de los pesados que mide 2,08 y tiene dos puños del tamaño de su cabeza.
Ojala gane Couture pero lo tiene muy muy dificil.

Pupu_pride
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por Pupu_pride » 15 Ene 2007 13:51

La verdad es que yo tb creo que se va a llevar la del pulpo .. demasiado peso y altura entre ambos.
La pela es la pela ..

Randy_Couture
Forero Activo
Forero Activo

Mensaje por Randy_Couture » 15 Ene 2007 15:31

Ojalas todo le salga bien a Randy y que no sea lastimado en esta lucha

Anger
Forero Vicioso
Forero Vicioso

Mensaje por Anger » 15 Ene 2007 15:47

Randy Couture siempre me gustado siempre da todo lo que tiene, ha dado repasos ha gente a la que le sacaba mas de 10 años como Belfort Ortiz pero creo que se equivoca en volver contra el campeon y eso que pienso que tecnicamente es mucho mejor que Sylvia pero la diferencia de peso en este caso la veo muy relevante, en pie no tiene muchas opciones y por la envergadura de Sylvia le va a costar mucho mantenerle en el suelo.

Jamas crei que diria esto :D pero doy como favorito a Sylvia.

Saludos

KICKE
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por KICKE » 16 Ene 2007 20:06

AL SUELO Y ADIOS.

Y SI,SI ES TAN MALO COMO DECIMOS AQUI TIMO SILVIA.

(si me sale bien que¡¡ ehh??) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KICKE
Forero Adicto
Forero Adicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por KICKE » 16 Ene 2007 20:06

AL SUELO Y ADIOS.

Y SI,SI ES TAN MALO COMO DECIMOS AQUI TIMO SILVIA.

(si me sale bien que¡¡ ehh??) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Responder